Job descriptionSpLd Specialist (speech and language)
Daily Rate: £65- £80 per day
Start Date: Immediate
Contract: Supply /Contractual
GSL Education is currently looking to expand its current cohort of experienced SpLd Specialist (speech and language) for day-to-day, short term, and long-term support and assistance within our partnership SEN schools located in Newcastle.
As a SpLd Specialist (speech and language), you must have a natural ability to handle a range of different behaviours as well as having an enthusiastic and positive manner. You must be able to have a level of resilience, have a good sense of humour, be able to build rapport easily and will ideally have experience working with pupils. You will have excellent communication skills and a good level of BSL experience.
About the role
- To provide communication and educational support to deaf students in the Deaf Education Centre and main school setting.
- To facilitate optimal access to the curriculum by interpretation of spoken language and implementation of alternative teaching strategies and support materials.
- Provide BSL sessions to students and staff.
- Provide communication support appropriate to the individual needs of the students.
As a SpLd Specialist (speech and language) you must:
- Ideally have qualifications or any associated certificates relevant to a Teaching Assistant and British Sign Language level.
- Positively promote Deaf Awareness across the whole school.
- Worked in a school or similar environment with hearing impaired students
- Observe and report on pupil progress
- Be the first point of call for the pupil
- Set new learning targets
- Being a general support to the pupil
- Supporting the teacher as and when required
- Have previous experience supporting pupils with hearing impairments
- Candidates should also have an Enhanced Child Workforce DBS certificate or be willing to apply for one through GSL.
For further information on this role or to apply, please do not hesitate to contact Sarah at GSL Education.