Job descriptionSpecial Needs Teaching Assistant - Scarborough
GSL Education are currently looking for a General Teaching Assistant to join an inclusive Special Educational Needs School in Scarborough, to start as soon as possible and continue until at least the end of the academic year.
About the school...
The School supports students from 2 to 16 years old, with a range of complex and additional needs. This includes moderate or severe learning difficulties, speech and language difficulties, autism and some medical difficulties. They are committed to providing the best education for all pupils with all staff being passionate about providing a meaningful and motivating curriculum.
About the role…
You will need to support the class teacher in the delivery of the curriculum, assisting with any personal care needs which may be required. You will support within additional activities to promote motor and speech skills, including but not limited to, Outdoor Fitness, Sensory Rooms, Hydrotherapy, Swimming lessons, Arts and Crafts and Cookery.
As the ideal candidate you should;
- Have experience supporting children or young people with a range of additional needs
- Be aware of the Primary National Curriculum
- Have training in Autism, Learning Difficulties, Behaviour, Team Teach or Moving and Handling; or be willing to complete additional training
- Be aware of PECs and Makaton; previous experience of using both would be ideal
- Be charismatic, pro-active and have the ability to use your own initiative