Job descriptionASD/SEMH Teaching Assistant
Daily Rate: £65- £80 per day
Start Date: Immediate
GSL Education is recruiting on behalf of various client schools in Sunderland, and we require engaging, enthusiastic teaching assistants who have experience working in ASD/SEMH settings.
The successful applicant will provide support to the academic and social education of children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and/or Social and Emotional Mental Health needs. You will be responsible for a caseload of students inside and outside the classroom environment delivering intervention programmes to individuals and small groups.
It is therefore essential that you are able to demonstrate a knowledge of the complex issues and co-morbidities associated with ASD such as ADHD, Attachment Disorder etc. and have evidence of recent training and qualification in ASD and or SEMH.
Applicants should have a ‘no excuses’ attitude to achievement and will have experience of a proven impact of improving life chances of children or young people with ASD/SEMH.
Successful candidates will have experience teaching young people or adults and will have worked closely with one or more of the following needs / behaviours:
- Physical Disabilities – that limit them in undertaking everyday tasks and often restrict mobility, risk to body shape
- Sensory Impairments
- Sensory processing difficulties
- Complex health needs (e.g Epilepsy, respiratory problems, dysphagia and eat and drinking problems)
- ‘Coping behaviours’
- Mental Health Difficulties
- Candidates should have a calm and patient manner along with the ability to build rapport quickly.
- Candidates should also have an Enhanced Child Workforce DBS certificate or be willing to apply for one through GSL.
GSL Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All our roles are subject to relevant checks and procedures. Our advertised teaching roles relate to real vacancies that exist at our client schools.
For further information on this role or to apply, please do not hesitate to contact Sarah at GSL Education.