Manchester –Diverse and Characterful
All who live here are welcomed!
Why Choose to Live in Manchester?
Manchester is situated in the northwest of England and is the second largest city in the UK after London. It’s too obvious to even mention that it is the world’s football Mecca, but football certainly isn’t the only thing that makes this city so great!
Manchester is the birthplace to many great things we love. Home to the world famous ‘Curry Mile’ and the rock group Oasis, even the world’s first ever computer was put together here. The city is enriched in proud history and thriving culture that has so much to offer for everyone.
Our branch covers:
- SECONDARY SCHOOLS
- PRIMARY SCHOOLS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SCHOOLS
The following boroughs are within the boundaries of Greater Manchester:
Impressive facts about Manchester
- Manchester is the World’s first industrial city, nicknamed as ‘Cottonopolis’ during the 19th century
- The world’s first passenger train station was founded in Manchester in 1830. Actually, it was the first railway to rely exclusively on steam power, with no horse-drawn traffic permitted at any time. It was also the first station to be entirely double tracked throughout its length, have a signalling system, first to be fully timetabled and powered entirely by its own motive power AND the very first to carry mail. Phew, that’s a lot of firsts!
- Manchester gave the world a real science breakthrough – helping shape the world we live in today because it was here that the atom was ‘split’ for the first time ever by Ernest Rutherford. Did you also know that the modern computer – known as the ‘baby’ was built in Manchester? Also, that the first ever commercial computer had a memory of just 32 words?
- With a population of 2.5 million, Manchester is the most linguistically diverse city in Western Europe with 200 spoken languages
- Drool at the sight of the largest concentration of South Asian restaurants outside the Indian subcontinent at the ‘Curry Mile’. Within a length of half a mile you can find over
- South Asian cuisine restaurants one next to the other!
- It has been voted ‘The best city to live in the UK’ in 2013 and is 51st in the world (Global Liveability Survey).
- Manchester has the largest student population of any city in Europe, home to over 100,000
- The University of Manchester is one of the biggest in the UK and 25 Nobel Prize winners have either worked or studied there!
- Manchester airport is the largest and busiest airport outside of London. It is the third busiest in the UK handling over 22 million passengers and planes travel to over 200 destinations worldwide a year
- In 2013, the house prices in Manchester soared by 21% in a year, which is the fastest rate in the whole of the UK, even topping London!
- It is the football capital of the world. Manchester is home to four premiership football teams including Manchester United and Manchester City. In 2013, the sport has brought in a whopping £330m worth of economic benefit to the region
- Manchester iswell known for its music scene –the world famous Halle Orchestra and many rock groups including Joy Division and Oasis are from here
- The first ever-free public library Chetham’s Libraryopened here in 1653 and has remained open ever since. Standing as the oldest public library in the English-speaking world –it holds over 100,000 volumes of printed books
- And in the city where Rolls met Royce does it really comes as a surprise that the first ever ‘Car-puccino’ took its trip from London to Manchester in 2010? Yes, you read that right, a car that was fuelled entirely by coffee grounds –11,000 espresso equivalents to be precise
- Mancunian pride is so strong that the city has it’sown official yearly celebration called ‘Manchester Day’ –an event that encapsulates the city’s diversity, community spirit, strength and solidarity. Not to be missed!
There’s just something special and indescribable about Manchester with its unique buzz and atmosphere that will leave you wanting to discover more. Why don’t you come and see for yourself what a magical place this is?
Making the most of your experience!
We have gathered together some helpful links to make your time here more pleasurable:
Please contact us to find out more information – we look forward to hosting you!